Sunday, March 20, 2016

Things To Do In Indy: 200 Years Exhibit at the Indiana State Museum

I was recently invited to preview a new exhibit at the Indiana State Museum. The museum is celebrating 200 Years of Indiana Art, with an exhibit that is going to be open through October 2nd. The exhibit is huge, over 100 pieces by Indiana artists including some really great mixed media, modern and contemporary pieces. 

Contemporary art is my personal favorite. I really love three dimensional pieces which use perspective to open up different interpretations of the pieces. My favorite though, are installations that primarily use light and sound. I was not disappointed with this exhibit because some of the new installations were simply sensational!


I really loved this piece. It's huge and it was also the first thing I saw when I walked in from the garage entrance. This three dimensional piece becomes more interesting and beautiful as you get closer and look into the lighted tunnels built into it. It made me envision diving underwater.


My favorite piece of the entire exhibit had to be this intricate light and shadow installation that I instantly wanted to take home with me. The patterns cast on the white walls, floor, and ceiling were beautiful, and gave the illusion of floating in space. This prize winning piece was definitely the highlight of the exhibit. Also.... as a huge sci-fi nerd, the laser-cut wooden box reminded me or a Borg cube (a pretty Borg Cube) and I was instantly smitten. 





Like I said, the exhibit is huge, and there are a variety of pieces for the art lovers in all of us. These two were my favorite, but there were also some paintings that caught my eye, like this beautiful piece in the Indiana African American Experience exhibit in the Legacy theater.


Also, as someone who really hasn't visited the State Museum before, I really did enjoy spending some time looking at and reading through the African American exhibit, which I must admit was nicely presented. Here's a little clip I filmed for you:



If you're an art lover, a history lover, or you're simply looking for a fun thing to do here in Indy, I would definitely recommend checking out the exhibit when you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment