Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Fitness/Workout Reviews: Barre Fitness!

Now this has got to be the most trendy, boutique style fitness class I've ever taken! 

I heard about this clews from a good friend who takes them regularly and I was excited! She described it as a ballet barre inspired workout and i just knew it would be amazing. I know many of you may not know this, but i danced classical ballet for most of my youth, and anything ballet inspired excites me. So there I went... 

I found out that the first class at the studio my friend went to was free, so I signed up immediately. I was the only person there for that class who had never taken it before, but the instructor was friendly and I easily got set up with all the things I needed. Then we began....... this class is just plain weird. 

What should you expect? 

The class is based on working the muscles by making small contractions which is completely different from the big movement that we're used to in the traditional workout format. You are made strike poses which seem strange and make small isolated movements. These movements aim to keep tension in the muscles and strengthen them without the use of additional weight. As a former dancer I found these movements to be quite natural, but I can see how the technique behind these movements could be hard for a newbie to grasp. I think that this class would help improve strength as well as flexibility over time, and would be beneficial for someone starting at any fitness level. 



What do you need?

The gym will usually provide you with everything that you will need for a class, but yoga socks would be a good idea. The class is done without shoes, and it can get a little slippery with regular socks. You should also wear regular fitted workout clothing with long pants. 


Pros: 
  1. Good for a beginner at any fitness level.
  2. Low impact and body weight strength workout. 
  3. Great workout for the core and flexibility. 
Cons: 
  1. Though the exercises themselves are not hard, learning the correct technique will take time. 
  2. These classes are expensive!!! 
  3. I would definitely consider them more of a maintenance type of workout, not really for people trying to lose weight fast. 
Summary: A great alternative for a strength workout. This class works your large, small, and stabilizing muscle groups, and improves flexibility and balance, while steering clear of the normal high impact, high cardio, and weightlifting options. 

Enjoy. Be Healthy. Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment