Monday, February 2, 2015

Fitness/Workout Reviews: Les Mills Body Combat!


So you all already know that I am deeply immersed in my health and fitness lifestyle. I say 'lifestyle' and not 'journey' because there is no end goal. There is no hypothetical finish line that I am racing towards where I can hang my shoes off and be done with it. I am living a healthy lifestyle, and I plan on continuing to do so indefinitely. 

A huge part of my lifestyle is exercise. I went from not doing a single dedicated workout, to working out for multiple hours 6 days a week. All of my workouts are group fitness classes. I have tried almost every format of work out that I have had access to, and I have found that group fitness classes are perfect for me. I get bored working with machines on a gym floor, and I hate the chaos of cross-fit. Group fitness classes provide the perfect middle ground and I do about 9 classes a week.

Now I know this routine may sound intense... but I am not here to encourage anyone to begin my workout routine. What I do want to start is a series of reviews of different fitness classes that I take currently or have in the past. 

Body Combat 

Body combat is a cardio and core workout that is inspired by fighting styles like martial arts and boxing. In it's 55 minutes you are able to burn upwards of 500 calories and get an intense core, leg, and shoulder workout. The workout is done to intense upbeat music, it is high energy, and each track is inspired by a different fighting style. Like all Les Mills classes, new Body Combat releases are introduced ever 4 months too so you never get bored, and your muscles do not get used to a single workout. 

Body Combat is my favorite fitness class, so it seemed right to talk about this one first. I first took this class a few months ago and was a bit intimidated. The class is highly technical and builds up many complicated routines. It seems to take about 5 classes to get correct form for all of the different stances, punches, blocks, and kicks. Do not be discouraged by the first couple of classes, because when you do get correct form, Combat is an intense, hard hitting, high kicking, calorie burner that works the whole body. The focus on fighting also makes it fun and is great for the group fitness atmosphere.





Summary: Body Combat is an amazing class and would be a great addition to any workout routine. I particularly like it in combination with weight lifting and stretching.  

Enjoy. Be Healthy. Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment