Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fitness/Workout Reviews: Les Mills Body Pump!

The fitness class that started it all!!!

Nack in 2007 i went home to the beautiful St. Lucia for my summer vacation because I had carnival plans with friends. Now, this is after years of attending college in the US and living in a dorm eating cafeteria food. My mom took one look at me and the design of my costume and announced that she was getting me a gym membership! (Have I ever mentioned that my parents are my favorite people ever?)

Not being a gym person at all, we agreed on a gym that offered group fitness classes. So I'd never heard of Les Mills class when I signed up for my first Body Pump class. I must admit that a weightlifting class didn't sound like fun, but I'm a trooper so...

I LOVED IT!!!



What's it about?

Body Pump is a low weight, high rep class in which you isolate and work individual muscle groups, and jam out to awesome music. The technique is simple and the combinations are easy enough for a beginner to feel challenged but not overwhelmed. When you get the hang of things and as your muscles get stronger, you gradually increase weight. As with every Les Mills class, new routines are released every fews months. Combine that with the weight increases and you're left with an ever changing class that continues to challenge you.

What will you need?

This class uses quite a bit of equipment, but all of it is provided by the gym. You will use barbells mostly and sometimes dumbbells. I would recommend getting some weightlifting gloves. They help to grip the bar and I consider them a must.




Pros: 
  1. Best group fitness class for building lean muscle. 
  2. Not difficult or intimidating. 
  3. Full body strengthening. 
Cons: 
  1. I would be cautious of this class if I had a pre-existing injury, and would definitely consult my physician before considering it.  
Summary: Body pump is a high energy, muscle building, full body workout that should be a part of anyone's fitness regimen.

Enjoy. Be Healthy. Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment