Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Minimalism: Why I'm Decluttering My Life

I think I just liked owning things....

I'm not the kind of person who goes out and buys 500 things at once, but that doesn't mean that my possessions do no eventually overwhelm me. 

I grew up in St. Lucia, which is one of the MOST beautiful places on the planet, but is also an expensive place to live. Fashion, beauty, and home-wares are extremely pricey there, so we were all taught to take care of our things growing up. Now I live in the US and everything is much more affordable so I generally shop more, but I still take care of my things and they last forever...

 The clutter crept up on me gradually. I gained some weight in college which I have since lost most of so my body is completely different. This means that I have been gradually shopping for a whole new wardrobe, but since my old clothes were in such great shape, I never got rid of them. I also moved from the east Coast to Indianapolis where the style is more casual ( if you can even call it style...) and so the types of things I wear on a regular basis have also changed. This resulted in a walk-in closet, and four draws that were bursting at the seams with clothing. That's not including the other drawers that held workout clothing, socks, leggings, lounge wear, and lets not forget shoes..... 

Some of you might not see what's wrong with having this much stuff... options are good right?...

Well here's how this affected me. Whenever I had to get dressed or ready for something it would take FOREVER to figure out an outfit. I hated looking through my stuff, and the majority of my things went unworn and I forgot some of them existed. It was also hard to keep neat and I always experienced anxiety when I had to get dressed, and guilt for the stuff that I wasn't wearing. 

So I went ahead and downsized in a major way. I probably got rid of 75% of all of my clothing and shoes!!!


This is now all of my clothing besides underwear, workout clothes, and basics. All of my basics fit in one drawer of my dresser, and I got rid of the drawers that previously held loungewear, workout clothes, swimsuits etc.


This shoe shelf used to hold three pairs per section, but I got rid of all the shoes that I simply didn't love anymore and didn't need to hold on to.


I even went ahead and applied this to the other parts of my life like my office space (aka desk) you see here. 

Check out my video below for more reasons to simplify your life and stop being held down by your possessions.


Enjoy. Be Healthy. Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment